This Saturday's contest against the Fullerton Hornets is the final game of the 2017 regular season. It is also Veterans Appreciation Day, all Active duty, reservists, and retired military veterans will have free admission with military ID. We are also recognizing veterans that are students here at Golden West College during halftime.
After two straight victories, including a 56-13 win in the "Battle for the Bell," your Rustlers suffered a heartbreaking loss last week to Grossmont on a last second field goal. Although, quarterback Joe Pyle has continued his recent surge putting up 485 yards passing with 2 touchdowns last week. Over the last two games, Pyle has thrown for 943 of his 2,216 total yards. Sophomore wide receivers Derrick Deese and Sheldon White each eclipsed 100 yards receiving. Them, Xavier Smith and Brailon Mouton have been the main core all season and will look to help Pyle move the ball against a tough Fullerton defense.
Fullerton comes in to the afternoon ranked No. 1 in the conference, Southern California and the state of California. They have the highest ranked offense in the state with 526 points scored, 74 touchdowns scored, average 58.4 points per game and have outscored opponents 526-156. The Hornets will threaten offensively with its two-headed monster at quarterback. Former El Dorado standout Kane Wilson has been responsible for the Hornets' passing attack throwing for 1,570 yards and 15 touchdowns. Freshman Ladarius Skelton primarily uses his legs and has rushed for 853 yards and 11 touchdowns.
Golden West Players to Watch:
- Joe Pyle, Fr., QB: Has 1,284 pas yds & 10 TDs last three games.
- Derrick Deese, So., WR: Leads WR with 603 yds & 6 TDs this season.
- Sheldon White, So., WR: Had 10 rec for 129 yds last week.
- Rudy San Jose, So., LB: Leads defense with 48 tkls, 22 for loss.
- Avery Jones, So., LB: Second on defense with 44 tkls, 23 for loss.
Fullerton Players to Watch:
- Kane Wilson, So., QB: Leads QB with 1570 yds passing and 15 TDs.
- Ladarius Skelton, Fr., QB: Leads offense with 853 a-p yds.
- Justin Manyweather, So., KR/PR: Leads team with 900 a-p yds & 715 return yds.
- Roy Oto, So., LB: Second on defense with 36 tkls & 5.5 sacks this season.
- Montre Bonner, So., DL: Leads defense with 6 sacks this season.